Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Toddler Years

Okay so is it just my child or are the toddler years the hardest. Forget getting through the infant stage, that's so easy. All they do is sleep, eat, and poop. Literally. I personally think that after 18 months they become little kids. And they say no and scream and kick like there's no tomorrow. They don't want to get their diaper changed all they want to do is play. All the time. Maybe it's just my kid, I'm not sure but if you're having trouble dealing with a toddler and you're at your wits end just remember. They're only kids. They are testing you. Here are some tips that I wish someone would have told me 7 months ago.

  • Invest in magic erasers. Seriously. They're going to get a hold of a pen or pencil and go to town on the walls, floor, themselves, Everything and anyone who is in reach of them. My son recently just drew all over our white walls with orange colored pencil and the magic eraser took it off within seconds. I was so relieved. So then I went to town scrubbing all the walls in my family room, needless to say, I need more magic erasers. lol
  • Relax. Just relax. Take a minute and lock yourself in the bathroom and just breathe. I know being a mom is hard. Believe me I know. But you have to just breathe and relax. And remember, they're only kids.
  • Don't stress over your child not eating. So what If all they want is goldfish crackers for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Believe me, not many kids eat a well rounded meal. Even though we try and we make a ton of food for them to just spit out and say no. I used to worry myself sick because all my child ate was broccoli, peas and corn. Now he's added cauliflower and chicken nuggets to his diet. And some other foods lol. The only advice I have for that is to get the PediaSure drinks and see if they'll drink them. My son loves the chocolate ones and I feel so much better knowing he drinks one every other day, most of the time. And don't stop introducing new foods. You'll be surprised at what they like.
  • When all else fails, take them outside. Let them get fresh air and I promise you, they'll be happy and so will you. Fresh air does amazing things for kids. Let them play as long as you can. You'll be surprised at how your child's attitude changes after they are done playing outside.
  • Try to enjoy your time with them while they are young. Every once in a while there will be a moment and you'll wish it could just be like that forever. I know I have those moments just about everyday. My son amazes me every single day. I remember when I graduated high school my mom and dad saying that I grew up so fast and I could never understand them, until now. My life is flashing before my eyes and as much as I love being a mommy to a toddler I just cant help but to think to myself...Wow it feels like he was just 6 months old, just starting to crawl, and now hes talking in almost sentences. I seriously have no idea where almost 2 whole years went. It is absolutely crazy how fast time goes by when you have a kid. I just want to freeze time and have it stay like this forever. 
But unfortunately, I cant freeze time. As much as I try, I cant. The first 5 years of your child's life have the most impact on them. They may not remember everything when they get older but the more time you spend with your child within the first 5 years, the closer you will be with them throughout their whole life. Read this article for more information  http://www.factsforlifeglobal.org/03/


No comments:

Post a Comment