Monday, June 17, 2013

Going Green

     So I know I haven't posted anything in a while, we were getting ready for my sons 2nd birthday party, so needless to say we were extremely busy. But a few weeks before that my sister in law sent me this email about GMO's. So after reading that email I was disgusted. Seriously GMOs are in EVERYTHING! Its really a shame because not only are GMOs bad for adults, they're extremely bad for kids! For those of you that don't know GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organism. And what it is, is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. Organisms that have been genetically modified include micro-organisms such as bacteria and yeast, insects, plants, fish, and mammals. GMOs are the source of genetically modified foods, and are also widely used in scientific research and to produce goods other than food. So needless to say, they're just bad for you. 
     So I have always tried to not eat like crap and I don't want my kid eating like crap either, so a few years ago I went to beauty school up in Marlton, NJ and its right across from Whole Foods and we went there a couple times for lunch and I knew it was all organic but I never knew about GMOs or anything obviously until a few weeks ago. So then I also heard about Trader Joes and I heard some stuff was cheaper than Whole Foods so I figured I'd try Trader Joes first just to see what all the fuss was about. And let me tell you, I am totally loving Trader Joes. Okay I'll admit it, I'm kind of obsessed with that place. I go there at least once a week and its a good 45 minutes away from my house and honestly, I don't care one bit about spending the extra money on gas because its totally worth it. I first only went there to get the oh so fabulous coconut oil that I'm 100% obsessed with then while walking around the store I realized how cheap things were, and all Organic too! I was amazed. So after looking around at all the food they have this little section of beauty products like Shampoo and Conditioner. So I was looking at this one shampoo by Trader Joes and its called Nourish Spa, so I started reading the ingredients and on the back of the bottle and it says Enhanced with organic botanicals, it does not contain laurel/laureth sulfates. And I was amazed because 1. Its organic shampoo and conditioner and 2. It doesn't contain harsh sulfates! SCORE!! As a hairdresser I know that sulfates are bad for your hair because they take out the natural oils in your hair and it can cause hair to become dry and brittle. So after reading all the ingredients on the bottle I was sold. Now theres only one thing stopping me from buying it, the price. So here it is ladies......$2.99  I kid you not! $2.99 for a 16.9 fl oz of organic sulfate free shampoo! And the conditioner is the same price and same size too! Best Find Ever!
 
Shampoo
Conditioner
     And let me add that it smells fantastic and works amazing. Sorry for the half used bottles but I'm seriously obsessed with this stuff. I highly recommend this if you're having trouble with your hair and don't know what to do about it. Try this for a week and I promise you, your hair will feel and look better. Don't forget to comb your hair in the shower! My secret trick to smooth healthy hair!

     So back to the GMOs...here's a list that my fabulous sister in law sent me of everything that has GMOs in it. Please don't hate me for sharing this but hopefully you'll think twice next time you go to shop rite 
So gross right?! Read up on GMOs and you'll know why so many people have switched to organic GMO free food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment